Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mid-July Review

Sticking to hold em has paid off. As of July 18 I was up @$2600 for the month. My mindset at that time was to not give it all back, or at the very least, not give any back in a large chunk. Unfortunately, I had a rough day at the 2/5 NL game and lost $1000 -- exactly what I didn't want to do! Ugh. Fortunately I can pinpoint exactly why the session was a loser and corrections can be made for future sessions.

In a non-poker book I've started to read there is a bit about investing and how greed and stability can each be trouble for investors. I think the same applies to a poker game. Greed can be trouble -- staying too long in a session trying to win more, for instance. Stability can be trouble -- staying in a game even when it is unprofitable simply because it may hold promise for eventual profit.

If you haven't guessed, here's what happened to my 2/5 session that day. I had made about $150 in an hour -- usually more than enough for the short sessions I'd been playing. The game appeared to be good, so I got greedy, lost back my profit and then misplayed a hand that cost me the rest of my chips. That was enough to get me on tilt so that when I rebought for another $500 I lost all that in a couple of hands, too. At least I was quick enough to leave after that!

Let's see how the end of the month shapes up! Despite the ugly loss, it's been a month of progress.

No comments: