Thursday, September 27, 2007

Losing and Learning

Well, from a strict earnings perspective this month has continued to SUCK for me and may just go down as my biggest ever one-month loss. Although I'm not happy about this state, I am at peace with it. I've been playing better and making better decisions as the month has progressed and I've been more diligent in my studies of poker theory.

I bought two books this month. I've nearly finished the first one, "Professional No-Limit Hold 'Em Volume I" by Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta and Ed Miller. I like this book because the examples it uses are based around the types of games I've been playing. It introduces some good theory on controlling pot sizes and planning out a poker hand in advance of the flop. A major goal of the book is helping players to reduce the tough decisions they may have to make on the turn or river. If decisions are easier, a player can feel more confident about making them.

The second book I have yet to start: "Your Worst Poker Enemy" by Alan N. Schoonaker, Ph. D. I have read some of this author's columns in the CardPlayer magazine and I like his style. I'll write a review of this book for my next post.

As I've been reflecting on the past month today, a conceptualized feeling and associative phrase entered my head: Be Nimble and Precise. I've always had a problem with the concept of striving for perfection. Since nobody is really perfect (and just what is true perfection anyway?) the idea of striving towards it seems in the end like so much running-in-place. But the idea of deftly acting in a precise manner (in life and in poker) sounds much more manageable and as a result, more motivational, too.

No comments: