Sunday, April 29, 2007

Ups and downs of play

Until I get settled in on some kind of regular schedule I've decided to play a lot of poker whenever I feel like it. I'm hoping this will lead to a regular schedule based on good game locations and times.

Saturday night I played at The Wynn poker room. I've been playing there pretty much every day since moving here. I've had success there in the past and I like the overall feel of the room. They also usually get an Omaha game going -- although this week, the game has been weak and hasn't lasted very long into the evening. While waiting for the Omaha game, I played 15/30 Hold Em for about twenty minutes and finished $143 ahead. My Omaha seat then came open and I proceeded to blow through about $500 in maybe an hour or two. All of my premium hands failed me and none of my draws ever "got there." I was prepared to rebuy and keep playing, but four players left the game at the same time and within a matter a minutes, the game broke up and I was steaming about my loss.

Luckily, the 15/30 Hold Em table still had room, so I took I seat there and bought in again. For the first couple of hours it felt like a low-limit Hold Em game, as again the pots I was involved with went to the other guy's draws that "got there" on the river again and again. Soon I was down about $400. This was not shaping up to be a banner day for the new poker professional.

Finally, sometime between hours 4 and 5 and I went on a big rush, got some great cards and played my position with aggression. The results being, I climbed up from $100 in chips to over $800. During the last hour I held on to my winnings (and got cold cards) and finally got sleepy enough to call it a night. That session I finished up $306. So, for roughly six hours of total play I lost about $50. Not bad, considering that at one point I was going to be down about $900 for the day.

No comments: